Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Wall Street Tarot: The Fed

I am afflicted with Joseph Campbell's Disease: no matter where I am, or what I am doing, my mind tends to press things into mythological, romantic, spooky, comparative-religion-esque frameworks. I was once a young programmer: Silicon Valley Tarot; I was single in the city, once: The Metrosexual Tarot; my real job continues as a financial engineer: The Wall Street Tarot.


The Federal Reserve glowers under a cloudy and moon-lit sky, ruminating monetary policy in pursuit of stable prices and maximum employment. It takes its guidance not from the government or the electorate, but from where -- Planet Keynes? Planet Hayek? Visitors from the Friedman solar system? It is not for us to know. Mysterious authority, unseen influence, strange wisdom. Reversed: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

No comments:

Post a Comment